Drug user describes how friend’s intestines were left hanging out of his body after knife attack

Norwich Crown Court heard how Douglas Dickson, 39, was stabbed in the back, chest and abdomen during the assault on April 17 this year.

A teenage boy, who was 15 at the time and cannot be named for legal reasons, is standing trial accused of attempted murder.

At a previous hearing prosecutor William Carter said the accused teenager had come to Great Yarmouth to deal drugs and Mr Dickson was a regular user of crack cocaine and heroin, but had fallen out with the youth after he tried to get some drugs, but did not have any cash to pay for them.

He said the youth had been sent from London in what was called “county lines dealing” and said despite Dickson leaving the flat, where he tried to buy drugs, empty-handed, the youth had followed him onto the street and attacked him.

Mr Carter said the 15-year-old was arrested at Great Yarmouth railway station and was found to have £655 in cash on him.

The defendant, now 16, has denied attempted murder on 
April 17 and an alternative charge of wounding with intent. He claimed he was acting in self-defence.

The trial continues.


Family of hit and run victim make official complaint against police

The family of a hit-and-run victim have slammed his ‘diabolical’ treatment at the hands of investigating police officers.

Brian Mitchell was struck by Graham Brooks on Lowestoft’s High Street in November last year.

The 86-year-old suffered a bleed on the brain and died two days before Christmas.

In September, Brooks was jailed for 15 months.

Mr Mitchell’s family claim the initial police investigation lacked “pace, energy and commitment” with basic protocol not being followed and vital evidence being left behind, so the family have launched an official complaint against Lowestoft Police.

Graham Mitchell, Mr Mitchell’s son, claims the first officers to attend the hit-and-run failed to start an accident book, failed to notify the Serious Collision Investigation Team and failed to collect damaged car parts from High Street.

Ten days after the accident Graham’s sister went back and collected debris that was still at the side of the road, the evidence turned out to be critical in Brooks’ conviction because it had fibres on it from Mr Mitchell’s clothes.

Mr Mitchell said the police’s “failings” and lack of communication contributed to the family’s turmoil.


Coastguard warn public after flare causes ordnance scare

A discarded distress flare prompted fears of a potential ordnance after it washed up on a riverbank.

HM Coastguard Gorleston were called to the banks of the River Bure last Thursday.

The team were dispatched to back up the Winterton Coastguard Rescue Team with a “potential ordnance”.

A careful examination of the reported item determined it to be a ‘spent’ maritime distress flare that had been in the water for some time and proved to be full of mud, so was probably fired and then dropped into the water. If you see such objects do not touch them, report them as soon as possible so they may be safely checked out and disposed of appropriately.


Norfolk officer speaks out about shocking attack

A Norfolk police officer has described the shocking moment she was attacked while going to help someone in a bid to try and raise awareness about the dangers that frontline staff face on a daily basis.

PC Debbie Lawson has been assaulted at least five times in more than nine years that she has served as a police constable, but the officer, who is currently based at Gorleston, said the latest attack which happened after she went to help a vulnerable woman has affected her the most.

In the early hours of May 20th she and a colleague, assisted three women who seemed to be involved in an argument near to the Ocean Room in Gorleston.

One woman seemed to be “really intoxicated” and “particularly vulnerable” and they sought to get her home safely, but while transporting her home in the van, PC Lawson said the woman suddenly attacked her, looked her straight in the eye and punched her straight on the bridge of my nose, knocking her unconscious.

The woman was arrested for the assault and taken to the police investigation centre where she attacked a detention officer.

The officer is back at work after a difficult three months of recovery which included regular counselling sessions, support from line managers and colleagues, and occupational health.

Last week her attacker, Naomi Weymouth, appeared in court where she was sentenced to an 18 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £500 in compensation.


No Comments

Post A Comment