Wheelchair tennis ace from Norfolk stranded in airport ahead of US Open

Wheelchair tennis star, Alfie Hewett, has been stranded in Chicago for over 12 hours after two of his flights have been cancelled

Alfie, who is from Cantley,  is the current Wimbledon men’s wheelchair doubles champion and now faces a race against time to make it to the final Grand Slam event of the year at the US Open.

Alfie was forced to sleep on the airport floor last night and has had to cancel his practice and media interviews.

His preparations for the US Open has been totally disrupted because of the travel chaos.

Alfie’s American Airlines flight was suppose to depart Chicago at 12.15pm yesterday afternoon. After two hours of being stuck on the runway the flight was delayed because of bad weather in New York.

Former Norfolk man set to stand trial following death of five people in shop explosion

Former Great Yarmouth man Hawkar Hassan, 32, Arkan Ali, 37, and Aram Kurd, 33, were arrested after a blast destroyed a Polish supermarket and flat on February 25, killing five people.

Mary Ragoobeer, 46, her sons Shane, 18, and Sean, 17, Leah Beth Reek, 18, and Viktorija Ljevleva, 22, all died in the incident on Hinckley Road, Leicester.

Miss Ljevleva studied A-levels and completed a business management degree at City College Norwich in 2016 and also attended Ormiston Venture Academy in Gorleston.

Ali, of, Oldham, Hassan, of no fixed abode and Kurd, of, Leicester, have all denied manslaughter and separate counts of arson being reckless as to endanger life and fraud by false representation. They are due to stand trial at Leicester Crown Court on November 13.

Ambulance service boss resigns amid ‘tremendous pressure’

Robert Morton, chief executive at the East of England Ambulance Trust (EEAST)for 3 years made the announcement in a post on a staff website.

Mr Morton took over at EEAST in August 2015, but he has come under much criticism in recent months from unions and MPs as the trust struggled to cope with winter pressures and found itself in the middle of a whistle-blowing scandal.

EEAST answered up to 3,200 calls a day during winter 2017/18 and frontline staff have spoken out about the pressure they are under.

Transport for some of Norfolk’s vulnerable people to be taken away

Transport for some of Norfolk’s vulnerable people is to be taken away, with councillors saying they will be handed more freedom if they use public transport instead.  The move has been criticised by opposition councillors, who fear the county’s bus services might not be good enough for the policy to be workable.

With Norfolk County Council’s budgets under increasing pressure as the government shakes up how authorities are funded, adult social services needs to save £54m by 2022.

As part of an effort to cut £1.7m over two years from the £6.1m spent annually on travel and transport for people, County Hall officers asked councillors on the adult social care committee to agree controversial changes.

It will see people who get adult social care – such as adults with learning disabilities – referred to a team which would assess whether they could potentially travel on public transport or on contract buses, after training.

All service users assessed as suitable would have to undertake travel independence training.

Anyone assessed as being suitable for that would have to willingly participate, or the council could withdraw specialist transport, such as taxis.

The council says, as well as saving money, such as through decommissioning of specialist buses, there are benefits to service users and their families by helping people to become more independent.

Great Yarmouth council reassures stall holders over plans to move market

Great Yarmouth Borough Council have reassured stall holders that plans to move its historic market are not final. The market place has been in Yarmouth for hundreds of years and traders have expressed their anger at the possibility of it being moved, revealed last week.

Graham Plant, council leader, reassured market traders yesteday that there are “no firm plans whatsoever” on the proposal.

He said: “We’re at the consultation stage and are asking the general public, traders and people surrounding the market place what they would like to see done.

“There’s a lot of misinformation out there that I’m hearing from councillors – not from my group, but independent – making up stories about what has already been decided.

Traders accept that the market place needs regenerating but many oppose any proposals which would involve a relocation.

Great Yarmouth theatre will not reschedule Peter Andre

Britannia Theatre said it will not be rescheduling the cancelled Peter Andre show this year.

Heart- broken fans were told the show had been “postponed” rather than cancelled in a statement by the pop star’s agency, but the Great Yarmouth theatre said despite its efforts a new date had not be agreed.

The news comes after two days of unanswered questions about the motive behind the cancelled appearance.

Fans raised suspicions after his agency posted the star had “been taken ill with sickness following his trip in America”, on Facebook  just hours after he shared a picture of himself enjoying a family holiday in Florida.

Some even suggested they believed a more likely explanation for the last minute cancellation was that he failed to leave enough time to travel from Florida back to the UK.

A full ticket refund has been offered but many fans had also paid for hotels and transport to attend the gig.

Remember the Battle of Britain Few at Great Yarmouth service

The 78th anniversary of the Battle of Britain is to be marked in a special service at Great Yarmouth Minster.

The Great Yarmouth branch of the Royal Air Forces Association is holding the service in the Minster on September 16 at 6.30pm.

Attending will be the mayor of Great Yarmouth Mary Coleman and councillors.

RAF Cadet Squadron No 221(Great  Yarmouth) will also be on parade at the Minster.

Spilt milk closes busy bypass

Police were called to the A149 Caister bypass at 6.05am this morning after a milk lorry lost some of its load.   The Yarmouth-bound carriageway was closed for nearly two hours while Highways made the area safe, clearing the crates and spilt milk by putting down gravel to make the road surface less hazardous.

No-one was injured in the incident. Traffic is now flowing freely.




No Comments

Post A Comment